Sunday, April 15, 2007

Well, a lot has happened over the past few weeks since I last updated. Here's a short synopsis and some pictures :)

First, BATTLE OF THE BANDS was a great success! We had over 500 students attend and 15 bands competed. There were rock bands, punk bands, psychadelic bands, and lots more. 3 of the bands won prizes voted on by the crowd. We had an American Christian band sing in between the student bands and in the middle of the night, the lead singer shared his testimony and we were able to pass out comment cards and get students' opinions on spiritual topics. We used the cards to get new student contacts. Everyone seemed to have a great time, and we only had one bloody nose from the mosh pit! :p It was a fun night :)
To advertise the event, my team members and I spent two weeks speaking in English classrooms. Through these two events, I have been able to meet with four new girls and share my faith with them. The Lord is doing a lot through the FEK program to reach out to new students.

Check out BoB pictures here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558622537ZsgYWY

2. The Opera!
On March 17th, the day after BoB, Ashely treated me to a night at the opera. We saw La Cenerentola at the Budapest Opera House, which is absolutely beautiful. The show was a little hard to follow, as it was in Italian, but we really enjoyed it.

Check out opera pictures here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558666501zpmhxC

3. Statue Park
A couple of weekends ago, my roommate Kirstin and I went with the girls in our Friday afternoon Bible Study to Statue Park, or in Hungarian, Szaborpark. This is a big lot of open space in the outskirts of the city whre the government has placed all of the communist statues that stood at one time in the squares of Budapest. There are some huge and also strange statues in this place and you can pay $3 to see them all. So, the seven of us went and took some crazy pictures on a beautiful Saturday afternoon :)

Check em out here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558621656hjkOyp

4. Prague!
Last weekend, Kirstin and I decided spur of the moment to travel to Prague for a couple of days. We left Saturday evening and took the night train. We arrived in Prague about six a.m. and stayed there til 3 the next afternoon. We had a great time. Prague is a beautiful city!

Check out the pictures here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558624883BENLCL

5. Finally, Kecskemet.
We've just arrived home from our Spring retreat in Kecskemet. This was a time for the Christian students involved in FEK to spend time together in worship and fellowship. The topic was hardships and we had some great discussions about personal, physical, emotional, and spiritual hardships. I had a great talk with Hanna about the kind of hardships Christ went through. It's so great to see her learning!

So, it's just four weeks from today that I return to the states. I'm feeling anxious, excited, nervous, scared, sad, and totally ready all at the same time. It's a whirlwind of emotions. Mostly right now I'm just starting to say goodbye to people, pack a bit, and focus on the relationships that I've formed this year. Please pray for our next few weeks of work. Ashley and I are taking a weekend trip to Milan just before we leave, and I have a few weekend trips to villages to visit girls planned before I go. Please pray that I am dilligent in my work and really get to say goodbye to Budapest properly.

Love to all!

Lauren

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home