Thursday, June 29, 2006

Greetings from Keszthely!


Well! It's been over a week since I arrived and as you can see, we've been having some fun!

I arrived in Budapest on Thursday morning and Timi, the admin staff member in Hungary picked me up. We shoved my giant suitcases in her tiny euro car and drove to my new apartment. I got to spend a couple of hours with the girls that were living there this past year, getting used to how everything works. I left one of my suitcases at the apartment and we headed for the train station around 1 o'clock. Let me tell you, it can get HOT in Hungary. It was at least 90 degrees when I arrived. My suitcase was sooooo heavy and I had to lug it about 5 blocks to the tram, through a 10 minute ride and up two flights of stairs to the train track. After a sweltering 3 hours train ride (no windows and no AC), we finally arrived at the camp. By the time I got my suitcase down the street and up to the dorm room, I was ready to call it a day, but it was only 6 o'clock.

We spent the next 2 days setting up the camp and getting to know each other before the group of Americans arrived. They got here Saturday night and the next couple of days were a madhouse. Getting people settled, showing people around the town, playing get to know you games. There's 72 staff here this summer and it certainly takes a while to get to know everyone. Meetings began soon enough and Sunday through Thursday were filled with continuous meetings. How to share your testimony, how to share the gospel, the four spritual laws, how to walk in the spirit, Bible Study, Discipleship group meetings, etc, etc. It's been jam packed and not exactly a lot of fun this week, but we know that will all change when the campers arrive.

Last night, we had Braveheart night. We split into two teams and played war games, complete with face paint. The picture above is of myself, my new friend Karen from Arkansas, and Mikelle (or at least half of her!), who I got to get to know well last summer. Our team won, of course, and we had some good fun :)

Today is our day off. I slept in til 11 (at least 4 hours later than usual) and then we went to a great pizza place in town for lunch, Donatellos. Now, we're just relaxing, waiting for tomorrow when our campers will arrive and the summer will officially start. It's been close to 100 degrees every day this past week, but the Lord blessed us with a thunderstorm last night and it's much, much cooler today. It's supposed to be cloudy and cool for the next few days, we we're very happy about that ! :)

Thank you for all your prayers. I'm really loving my role as a discipleship leader and can't wait to see where God takes our group over the next three weeks. Continue to pray for the campers that we will meet this week - that their heart and minds will be open to the gospel and many will come to know the Lord this summer.

Thanks for reading all this and I'll try to update again soon!

With love, Lauren

1 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Blair Badge said...

oh...i wish i could have been there! sounds like y'all had a blast! i'll be seeing you soon lovey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home